Tuesday, September 12, 2017

Book Review - Milk & Honey

Milk and Honey by Rupi Kaur
Reviewed by Zorely 


Milk and Honey is a book filled with a series of poems that I absolutely love, and you will too.
This is a book that is filled with meaningful poems that somehow get you inspired to write your very own. The book is divided into four chapters that have poems relating to the title. The Hurting, The Loving, The Breaking, and The Healing.
Rupi Kaur’s Milk and Honey is by far one of my favorite books that are dedicated to poems. There aren’t many books like that, and I adore them. I don’t have just one favorite poem, in fact I have four poems that I enjoyed and they all happen to be in the same chapter called “The Healing.” The first one is on page 157. It is about co-depending on people to fill the spots you think that are empty. This could mean that you’re lacking happiness, love, anything you think that you don’t have. The last part of it really makes you think deeply about where you stand in life. “Who tricked you into believing another person was meant to complete you when the most they can do is complement.” The second one is on page 167 and it talks about that one quote that is most famous from males who try to impress a woman by saying, “You’re not like most girls.” Some girls might like to hear that, but others don’t. For some it seems more of an insult to them than a compliment because as the poem states, “Something about the phrase-something about how I have to be unlike the women I call sisters in order to be wanted makes me want to spit your tongue out. Like I am supposed to be proud you picked me. As if I should be relieved you think I am better than them.” And lastly, my favorite poem is on page 190. It explains about fellow females joining together hand in hand to help each other. Whether it be emotional support, physical support, jobs, or even something as bold as standing up to women’s rights. In the poem it compares the need for feminism to  flowers needing spring.
I would recommend this book to people who love poems as much as I do. This book is for the people who want to find their inner poet through the writing of another author.
If you feel like reading something that has multiple hidden messages or you just want to read something unlike most books, you’d absolutely enjoy this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment